Two-year-old boy died as a result of mould-infested flat ‘unfit for human habitation

Two-year-old boy died as a result of mould-infested flat ‘unfit for human habitation

An inquest has determined that a two-year-old boy passed away as a result of extensive mould in his apartment, which a surveyor deemed “unfit for human habitation.”

On December 21, 2020, not long after his second birthday, Awaab Ishak passed away.

He “died as a result of a serious respiratory disease induced by exposure to mold for an extended period of time in his home environment,” according to coroner Joanne Kearsley, and “action to cure and prevent the mold was not taken.”

The flat, located on the Freehold estate in Rochdale, was described by the coroner as having “excessive moisture and condensation” due to inadequate ventilation and lack of equipment for daily living activities.

Two-year-old

She said as she was wrapping up the hearing: “What causes this to occur? How does a two-year-old child in the UK die from mold exposure in 2020?

“This problem affects the private sector just as much as it affects Rochdale, and wet and mold are not just issues in social housing.

There is little question that Awaab Ishak’s untimely death will and should be a turning point for the housing industry.

He claimed that fungus was discovered in Awaab’s blood and lungs, and that the severity of the inflammation suggested an allergic reaction.

He listed “environmental mold contamination” as the reason of death.

Professor Malcolm Richardson, a specialist in mold and fungi, backed up these conclusions by stating that the walls and ceilings of the kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom had been covered in “extensive mould” for “some considerable time.”

skynews awaab ishak

Prof. Richardson responded that 50% of social housing properties have mold and that the overall situation is “dire” when asked to describe the conditions in social housing.

The coroner came to the following conclusion: “I find that Awaab’s prolonged exposure to mold in his home environment was the sole cause of the development of his severe respiratory condition, which resulted in his going into respiratory arrest.”

source:nsemwokrom.com