Spain at the 2022 World Cup: who is in Luis Enrique’s 26-man squad?
During the tournament in Qatar from November 20–December 18, Spain is aiming to win their second World Cup championship. What you need to know about their team is as follows:
HOW MANY PLAYERS CAN SPAIN BRING TO QATAR?
* FIFA increased the maximum number of players for squads by three in June, noting the unusual timing of the competition as well as the influence of COVID-19. This allowed teams to pick up to 26 players for this year’s World Cup.
* Coaches had until November 14 to make a decision regarding their final 26-player list.
WHO IS ON SPAIN’S SQUAD FOR THE 2022 WORLD CUP?
The squad for Spain was unveiled on November 11.
* Goalkeepers: David Raya, Robert Sanchez of Brighton & Hove Albion, and Unai Simon of Athletic Bilbao (Brentford).
The Bilbao goalkeeper is expected to remain Spain’s first choice in Qatar because Luis Enrique appears to be a huge fan of Simon’s character.
Defenders: Jordi Alba (Barcelona), Eric Garcia (Barcelona), Hugo Guillamon (Valencia), Aymeric Laporte (Manchester City), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Dani Carvajal (Real Madrid), Hugo Guillamon (Valencia), Pau Torres (Villarreal),
In the absence of seasoned players Sergio Ramos and Gerard Pique, the Spanish back line is bolstered by the expertise of Azpilicueta, Carvajal, Laporte, and Alba.
* Midfielders: Koke Resurreccion, Carlos Soler, Pedri Gonzalez, Sergio Busquets, Rodri Hernandez, Atletico Madrid’s Marcos Llorente, Barcelona’s Gavi, and Paris St. Germain’s Carlos Soler (Atletico Madrid).
The 2021 Golden Boy and Kopa Trophy winner, who was a key component of Spain’s run to the European Championship semifinals the previous year, enters his first World Cup as one of their most dynamic midfield options.
Busquets, the final survivor of Spain’s 2010 victory, will be responsible for managing their inexperienced midfield.
As Qatar’s recent favored number nine, Morata is set to start as the attacking line’s captain. Fati has also been selected, but the forward is still regaining his best form after suffering from persistent knee ailments.
WHICH PERSONS ARE NOTABLE OMISSIONS?
* David De Gea of Manchester United was not selected because he was no longer liked by Luis Enrique, who declared in March that he wanted to put other goalkeepers to the test.
* Kepa Arrizabalaga, a comparable shot-stopper, has played for Chelsea more frequently this year but was unable to join the Spain team owing to injury.
* Thiago Alcantara, a midfielder for Liverpool, was passed over because he had seen his role change with the emergence of the young players Pedri and Gavi.
Ahead of the group stage, who teams will Spain face?
* In Group E, Spain will compete against Japan, Germany, and Costa Rica.
WHICH SQUAD REPRESENTED SPAIN AT THE 2018 WORLD CUP?
* Goalkeepers: Kepa Arrizabalaga, Pepe Reina, and David de Gea (all of Manchester United) (Athletic Bilbao).
Defenders include Gerard Pique of Barcelona, Nacho Monreal of Arsenal, Alvaro Odriozola of Real Sociedad, Nacho Fernandez of Real Madrid, Dani Carvajal of Real Madrid, Sergio Ramos of Real Madrid, and Cesar Azpilicueta of Real Madrid.
* Midfielders: Sergio Busquets of Barcelona, Isco of Real Madrid, Thiago Alcantara of Bayern Munich, David Silva of Manchester City, Saul Niguez of Atletico Madrid, and Koke of Barcelona (Atletico Madrid).
* Forwards: Rodrigo Moreno (Valencia), Lucas Vazquez, Iago Aspas (Celta Vigo), Marco Asensio (Real Madrid), Diego Costa (Atletico Madrid) (Real Madrid).