Despite his withdrawal from the Australian Open, Nick Kyrgios is making headlines.
The Australian, who pulled out of the competition due to a knee injury, was seen with girlfriend Costeen Hatzi in the player warm-up area at Melbourne Park, where Kyrgios embraced her from behind and put his hands on her chest, according to a recent video that has emerged on Twitter.
Hatzi, a Sydney-based fashion blogger, has been by Kyrgios’ side since late 2021. She expressed her support for her 27-year-old beau on Monday, following his decision not to compete in this year’s tournament.
“Devastated,” Hatzi began in an Instagram Story. “Needs to do what is right for his body.”
… no comment pic.twitter.com/0fDFJCtRCh
— s 🙂 (@slaylorfritz) January 18, 2023
Kyrgios, who is less than a year removed from the Wimbledon final and the U.S. Open quarterfinals, took to social media on Wednesday to thank fans for their support.
“As the emotions have settled…. I just want to thank everyone who has sent their positive energy my way,” Kyrgios wrote on Instagram.
“But I also want to apologize to all of my fans who wanted me to knock on the door of a slam again…. it’s never easy sitting and watching…. the journey continues.”
Hatzi responded to Kyrgios’ post with three pink heart emojis.
During a press conference earlier this week, Kyrgios and his physiotherapist, Will Maher, discussed the athlete’s injury, revealing that he had been dealing with a cyst on a small tear in his left knee’s meniscus.
“The situation now is we wanted to prevent him from having further injury or making that injury worse. The prognosis is good and he’ll be fine. We just go back to work and make sure everything is fine for him and we go again,” Maher said.
Kyrgios then vowed to bounce back from the setback.
“Look, I have no doubt I’ll be back to full strength and playing the tennis I was playing before this event,” he said.
Last January, Kyrgios and his doubles partner Thanasi Kokkinakis won the men’s doubles title at the Australian Open.