Germany at the 2022 World Cup: who is in Hansi Flick’s 26-man squad?
At the competition in Qatar from November 20–December 18, Germany will be vying for a sixth World Cup victory. What you need know about their team is as follows:
GERMANY IS ALLOWED TO BRING HOW MANY PLAYERS TO QATAR?
* FIFA increased the maximum number of players for squads by three in June, noting the unusual timing of the competition as well as the influence of COVID-19. This allowed teams to pick up to 26 players for this year’s World Cup.
* Coaches had until November 14 to make a decision regarding their final 26-player list.
WHO IS ON GERMANY’S SQUAD FOR THE 2022 WORLD CUP?
The team for Germany was unveiled on November 10.
* Goalkeepers: Marc-Andre ter Stegen (Barcelona), Kevin Trapp, and Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich) (Eintracht Frankfurt).
The team will be led by goalkeeper Neuer, who will continue to be the top choice for a fourth straight World Cup.
* Defenders: Niklas Suele (Borussia Dortmund), Nico Schlotterbeck (Borussia Dortmund), Thilo Kehrer (West Ham United), David Raum (RB Leipzig), Lukas Klostermann, Armel Bella Kotchap (Southampton), Christian Guenter, Matthias Ginter (Freiburg), Antonio Ruediger (Real Madrid) (Freiburg).
Ruediger of Real Madrid will be tasked with sealing the gaps in a leaky backline that has only managed one clean sheet in eight games this season.
* Midfielders: Mario Goetze, Leon Goretzka, Serge Gnabry, Leroy Sane, Jamal Musiala, Joshua Kimmich, Thomas Mueller (all of Bayern Munich), Jonas Hofmann (Borussia Moenchengladbach), Ilkay Gundogan (Manchester City) (Eintracht Frankfurt).
Mueller, Musiala, Sane, Gnabry, Goretzka, and Kimmich make up Bayern Munich’s potent midfield core. The team has welcomed back Goetze, who scored the game-winning goal in the 2014 World Cup final.
* Forwards: Niklas Fuellkrug (Werder Bremen), Kai Havertz (Chelsea), Youssoufa Moukoko (Borussia Dortmund), and Karim Adeyemi (Borussia Dortmund).
In the absence of RB Leipzig’s Timo Werner, Germany will have an option up front thanks to Havertz of Chelsea.
WHICH PERSONS ARE NOTABLE OMISSIONS?
* Mats Hummels, a defender, and captain Marco Reus of Borussia Dortmund are out due to injuries, respectively.
Due to an ankle injury, Timo Werner was unable to participate in the World Cup.
IN THE GROUP STAGE, WHAT TEAMS WILL GERMANY PLAY AGAINST?
* In Group E, Germany will compete against Spain, Costa Rica, and Japan.
WHAT SQUAD PLAYED FOR GERMANY AT THE 2018 WORLD CUP?
* Goalkeepers: Marc-Andre ter Stegen (Barcelona), Kevin Trapp, and Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich) (Paris St Germain)
Defenders include Jerome Boateng of Bayern Munich, Niklas Suele of Chelsea, Antonio Ruediger of Chelsea, Matthias Ginter of Borussia Moenchengladbach, Jonas Hector of Cologne, Mats Hummels of Bayern Munich, Joshua Kimmich of Bayern Munich, Marvin Plattenhardt of Hertha Berlin, and Jonas Hector of Cologne (Bayern Munich)
Julian Brandt of Bayer Leverkusen, Julian Draxler of Paris Saint-Germain, Leon Goretzka of Schalke 04, Ilkay Gundogan of Manchester City, Sami Khedira of Juventus, Toni Kroos of Real Madrid, Thomas Mueller of Bayern Munich, Marco Reus of Borussia Dortmund, Sebastian Rudy of Bayern Munich, and Mesut Ozil of Arsenal are among the midfielders (Arsenal)
* Forwards: Timo Werner and Mario Gomez of VfB Stuttgart (RB Leipzig)