Brazil at the 2022 World Cup: who is in Tite’s 26-man squad?
Brazil will compete in the tournament in Qatar from November 20–December 18 in an effort to achieve a record-extending sixth World Cup championship. What you need to know about their team is provided here.
HOW MANY PLAYERS CAN BRAZIL TRAVEL TO QATAR WITH THEM?
* FIFA increased the maximum number of players for squads by three in June, noting the unusual timing of the competition as well as the influence of COVID-19. This allowed teams to pick up to 26 players for this year’s World Cup.
WHO IS ON BRAZIL’S SQUAD FOR THE 2022 WORLD CUP?
The Brazilian team was unveiled on November 7.
Alisson (Liverpool), Ederson (Manchester City), and Weverton are the goalkeepers.
While there isn’t much to choose between Alisson and Ederson, the Liverpool goalkeeper began the majority of Brazil’s World Cup qualifying matches and is anticipated to keep his spot in Qatar.
Defenders include Bremer from Juventus, Eder Militao from Real Madrid, Marquinhos from Paris Saint-Germain, Thiago Silva from Chelsea, Danilo from Juventus, Dani Alves from UNAM Pumas, Alex Sandro from Juventus, and Alex Telles from Juventus (Sevilla).
Marquinhos and veteran Thiago Silva were chosen as the defense’s pillars, and 39-year-old Dani Alves was a surprising inclusion. Four center backs were chosen overall.
* Midfielders: Lucas Paqueta (Manchester United), Fabinho (Liverpool), Casemiro (Manchester United), Bruno Guimaraes (Newcastle United), Everton Ribeiro (Flamengo), and Everton Ribeiro (West Ham United).
While Everton Ribeiro, 33, will be attending his first World Cup, Guimaraes has been rewarded for a strong start with Newcastle United.
* Forwards: Rodrygo (Real Madrid), Rodrygo (Tottenham Hotspur), Richarlison (Tottenham Hotspur), Pedro (Flamengo), Gabriel Jesus (Arsenal), Gabriel Martinelli (Arsenal), Neymar Jr. (Paris St. Germain), Antony (Manchester United), Raphinha (Barcelona), Richarlison (Tottenham Hotspur), and Vinicius Jr.
With the exception of Flamengo’s Pedro, who helped the Brazilian club win the Copa Libertadores and finished as the competition’s leading scorer with 12 goals, nine forwards have been chosen, many of whom are young players who currently compete in Europe.
WHICH PERSONS ARE NOTABLE OMISSIONS?
* Despite having more goals and assists in the Premier League this season than other players who made the squad, Liverpool striker Roberto Firmino was left off.
* Center defender Gabriel Magalhaes fell short of Tite’s expectations despite helping Arsenal win the Premier League.
Philippe Coutinho, an attacking midfielder for Aston Villa, is sidelined with a thigh injury.
IN THE GROUP STAGE, WHAT TEAMS WILL BRAZIL PLAY AGAINST?
* In Group G, Brazil will compete against Serbia, Switzerland, and Cameroon.
WHAT SQUAD PLAYED FOR BRAZIL AT THE 2018 WORLD CUP?
Alisson (Roma), Ederson (Manchester City), and Cassio are the goalkeepers (Corinthians).
Defenders: Marcelo (Real Madrid), Thiago Silva (Paris St. Germain), Miranda (Inter Milan), Marquinhos (Paris St. Germain), Fagner (Corinthians), Pedro Geromel (Gremio), and Danilo (Atletico Madrid) (Manchester City).
Midfielders: Casemiro (Real Madrid), Willian, Renato Augusto (Beijing Sinobo Guan), Fred (Shakhtar Donetsk), Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona), Paulinho (Barcelona), and Casemiro (Real Madrid) (Chelsea).
Neymar (Paris St. Germain), Roberto Firmino (Liverpool), Gabriel Jesus (Manchester City), Douglas Costa (Juventus), and Taison are among the forwards.