Benjamin Mendy: Jury in Man City footballer’s rape trial told to ‘question credibility of accusers’
In the rape trial of Benjamin Mendy, a defender for Manchester City, the jury has been instructed to cast doubt on the accusers’ veracity.
Lisa Wilding KC, the defense attorney, emphasized actions by the accusers that were “inconsistent” with a rape claim in her closing remarks.
She discussed the testimony of one complainant, a 19-year-old girl who told the jury from the witness stand that she had been raped by Mendy, 28, and co-accused Louis Saha Matturie.
However, during the 16-week trial at Chester Crown Court, evidence from her cellphone showed that she had “enthusiastic” sex with Matturie on the date when she claimed to be being raped.
The trial jury was instructed to absolve both men of the accusations made against her.
She sat in this courtroom, looked you in the eye, and presented what may have been a strong and believable description of being raped repeatedly by these two men, according to Ms. Wilding.
She is entangled in a complex web of connections, contacts, and information, like so many other witnesses in this case.
In addition to his property, The Spinney, in Mottram St. Andrew, Cheshire, where he frequently hosted lockdown-busting events, they claimed the attacks happened at an apartment he rented in the heart of Manchester.
In order to get girls back to the parties after nights out in the VIP areas of Manchester nightclubs, Matturie has been accused of acting as a “fixer.”
Both guys insist that any intercourse they had with women was voluntary.
Mendy, a famous player for the Premier League, has been accused of raping seven young women, trying to rape one more, and sexually assaulting one more.
Matturie, a Salford resident, has been accused of raping six girls and sexually assaulting three others.
The trial was postponed until early Tuesday.