The student died in his student halls after contracting a severe and fatal infection from a house spider bite. He had checked himself out of the hospital just days before.
An inquest into the death of a second-year university student has revealed that he died after being bitten by a spider.
Harry Bolton, 19, was a student at Hull University when he was discovered dead in October of last year.
An inquest heard that Harry had complained of feeling ill four days prior due to a spider bite.
According to HullLive, several students reported a spider infestation in the same student halls where Harry was staying.
Harry’s housemate returned home from work on October 7, 2021, having not received a response to a text message he had sent earlier that day.
When he and another housemate knocked on Harry’s door and received no response, they were forced to break down the door.
When they entered, they discovered Harry in his bed, his eyes and mouth open and his skin cold to the touch.
When paramedics arrived, they discovered a large £1-sized gaping wound on his back that appeared to be infected.
They were unable to revive him, and he was pronounced dead at the scene.
Harry went to Hull Royal Infirmary four days before his death on the advice of his flatmate because he had a high temperature and heart rate, and doctors discovered he had inflammation.
He was kept in for observation but decided to leave at 1 a.m. on October 4.
Another housemate, Kacper-Krysztof Zydron, testified in court about a similar bite on his neck in August 2021.
Kacper said it initially “hurt a little,” but after a few days he couldn’t move his neck.
He went to A&E and was told to take paracetamol, but it didn’t work, and he only found relief after his GP prescribed antibiotics.
A clause in the tenancy agreement stated that “low-level” pest intrusions were the tenants’ responsibility, not the site’s.
A pest inspection team was called to investigate Harry’s death, but they discovered a “normal” number of insects for the time of year.